Saturday 28 April 2012

Marat Dupri | Skywalker



spiegel.deIf you are the parent of a teenager, you may cringe at the latest fad from Russia—daredevil photographers shooting from death-defying heights without the benefit of safety harnesses.

All Photos: Marat Dupri

One of the stars is photographer Marat Duri who was born on October 25, 1991 and belongs to the generation in Russia that grew up after the breakup of the Soviet Union and only learned about communism through textbooks.

“I was a sickly child, and didn’t develop well due to a lack of vitamins and environmental pollution. I had a weak heart. The doctors told me I couldn’t play sports; it was like a lifelong punishment.

I often went to see movies, but I found them boring. Then I searched online to see what kinds of subcultures were out there. I found 'roofing' exciting, and I found someone who took me onto my first roof. I had to climb 48 stories to get to the top of the building. I was tired after that, but happy. Roofing has kept me healthy. My heart beats better.”


“What we do is a bit anarchistic. We defy the security guards. When we go onto especially well-guarded buildings, we sometimes get arrested ... even by agents of the the FSB and FSO (ed’s note: Russia’s domestic intelligence agency and presidential security service, respectively).”


“I’m studying law in Moscow. If they arrest me again, I know which statutes they can really charge me with violating and which ones they’re just trying to intimidate me with.”


“When you stand in front of a building, you can't hesitate, you can’t doubt.”



“I recently climbed to the top of the statue of Peter the Great in the center of the city one night—100 meters (330 feet) up and onto his head. We climbed up while the guards were sleeping. A weather vane was spinning in the wind on the very top. Below, the sun was slowly rising over Moscow. The city was asleep, and it was like life was frozen. I was the happiest person on Earth. I only need to look down to forget all my problems.

At such times, I experience a sensation of freedom. No one can disturb me. No one tells me what's good and what’s bad.”



No comments:

Post a Comment